From Salim Umar Ibrahim (Kano), Saawua Terzungwe (Abuja) & Maryam Ahmadu-Suka (Kaduna)

 

Edo and Kano State Governors, Monday Okpebholo and Abba Kabir Yusuf, yesterday visited Torankawa village in Bunkure Local Government Area of Kano State, where most of the 16 hunters killed last week in Uromi, Edo State, hail from.

The hunters were on their way from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to Kano for the Sallah celebration when some vigilantes intercepted and lynched them.

Okpebholo and Yusuf visited the village to condole with the families of the slain hunters.

 

Torankawa on Monday

The air in Torankawa yesterday was thick with tension as hundreds of hunters from neighboring villages and other local government areas stormed Torankawa village in Bunkure Local Government Area. Armed with their weapons, they marched in.

Torankawa has been in the news since Friday, when the hunters were killed in Uromi, Edo State. Families, friends and colleagues of the hunters have been in mourning since the incident.

The arrival of the hunters heightened the situation in the village. Many of the villagers stayed indoors while other stood at a distance watching.

uromi killings2
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf (middle); flanked on the left by his Deputy, Aminu Gwarzo; and on the right by the Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, during the later’s condolence visit to Kano over killing of hunters in Uromi

Okpebholo pledges compensation

In his remarks, Governor Okpebholo assured the people of Kano that justice would be served.

Okpebholo told the families of the victims that compensation would be paid.

He noted that 14 suspects had been arrested and were being transferred to Abuja for further investigation.

He reaffirmed his commitment to maintaining harmony between the Hausa community in Edo and their hosts.

Okpebholo stressed that the attack did not reflect the values of the state.

“I want to assure you that Mr. President is deeply disturbed by this incident and has directed security agencies to spare no effort in bringing the perpetrators to book,” he said.

 

Governors address gathering

Addressing the villagers, the governor of Kano, Abba Yusuf, acknowledged their pain and expressed condolences.

Governor Yusuf assured that the state government would take immediate steps to ensure justice.

Also speaking, the governor of Edo State, Monday Okpebholo, spoke about the danger of reprisal attacks and the need for communities to work together.

The two governors assurances that security forces would handle the situation and that those responsible would be brought to justice resonated with the villagers.

street of kano state during the visit, yesterday
street of kano state during the visit, yesterday

 

Youths, women demand justice

Youths and women in the village also trooped out yesterday, calling for justice.

They displayed placards with such inscriptions as “Hunters are not criminals,” “Hunting is business, not crime,” “Justice for our traveling hunters,” “We need speedy dispensation of justice,” “All we want is justice,” “Stop killing Northerners,” “We are peace-loving people,” and “Justice for innocent souls,” among others.

One of the mourners in the village, an elderly man, stated: “We have never seen a senator in this village, but today, we have seen two governors.”

One of the hunters said: “We are hopeful of justice.”

 

Gov Yusuf demands attackers’ parade, prosecution

Earlier, while receiving Okpebholo at the Kano State Government House, Governor Yusuf had called on the Edo State government to ensure public parade and immediate prosecution of the hunters’ killers. Fourteen suspects are said to have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Okpebholo led a delegation to Kano to offer condolences over the incident.

the truck conveying the hunters from port harcourt to kano
the truck conveying the hunters from port harcourt to kano

Governor Yusuf stated: “It is a known fact that our people were traveling from Port Harcourt through Edo State when they were brutally attacked. Many were maimed, burnt and murdered in cold blood.”

He acknowledged the swift response of the Edo State government and commended Okpebholo for his visit to the crime scene and his efforts to ensure the victims were buried in accordance with the law.

He also praised the arrests made by security agencies and urged that justice be served.

“Kano people trust you, and you have assured us that the perpetrators will be brought to justice.

“We appeal to you to ensure that they are not only arrested but also paraded publicly so that the world sees those responsible for this heinous crime,” Yusuf stated.

He reiterated the Kano State government’s commitment to peaceful coexistence.

Governor Yusuf, who warned against reprisals, emphasised that Nigeria belongs to all.

He called on leaders to work together to prevent such incidents in the future.

Yusuf also urged security agencies to take firm action against those who incite violence.

He pledged that cash and foodstuffs would be donated to the families.

He also promised that his administration would ensure justice for the victims.

 

 

Perpetrators must be brought to book – Barau

The Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Jibrin Barau, has said that the killers of the hunters must be brought to book to serve as a deterrent to others.

Barau, according to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ismail Mudashiru, spoke at his Maitama residence in Abuja on Monday when he received Edo State Governor  Okpebholo, on a condolence visit.

“We cannot undo what has been done. But we all want – all Nigerians, what they are looking forward to, is to make sure that these people are arrested and brought to justice. And you are doing well in that direction.

“And I am also glad you’ve spoken about the fact that your government is ready to assist the families of those affected.

“I want you to continue to pursue the case so that all those who were involved in these barbaric actions are brought to justice. It’s a barbaric action, to say the least.

“If they are brought to justice, it would serve as a deterrent to those who might want to do this in future. I know that people from other parts of the country have been staying with your people in Edo for centuries in a very conducive atmosphere. And this barbaric act has never happened. I’m sure, under your watch, this will not happen again”, he said.

The statement also quoted Governor Okpebholo to have extended his condolences to Barau, who is from Kano State, pledging that the Edo State Government would assist the families of the victims.

Okpebholo, according to the statement, described the killings as unfortunate and condemnable.

“It is unfortunate that it happened in our state. We are here to say, to let you and other people know that we are not happy. The president is doing something drastic about this. He is not happy also. The IG has swung into action. The DIG CID is in charge’’, he said.

uromi killings3
uromi killings3

Arewa group warns against incitement

A northern group under the aegis of Arewa Think Tank, has also condemned the killing of 16 hunters in Edo State, warning that the North should not be incited against the South over the incident.

The group’s convener, Muhammad Alhaji Yakubu, gave the warning during a special prayer session organised in commemoration of President Bola Tinubu’s 73rd birthday in Kaduna.

Yakubu commended President Tinubu for ordering an immediate crackdown on killers of the hunters.

Two Islamic clerics, Sheikh Yahaya Musa and Abdulkareem Abumujahidah, led the prayer session for the president. They urged Nigerians to continue praying for their leaders to ensure the country’s speedy development.