Kingsley Fanwo, commissioner for information in Kogi, says only the security agencies can decide whether Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan should be arrested for defying the state government’s ban on rallies
Fanwo spoke when he featured on Politics Today, a programme
on Channels Television, on Tuesday.
“There was a directive from the state governor, and the
security agencies were told to execute the directive,” the commissioner said.
“If someone has violated it, the security agencies don’t
need another directive from the governor; they know what actions to take.
“Only the security agencies can determine whether the
senator should be arrested or not; they are familiar with their procedures. I
am not a police officer, but I am certain that she should be questioned
thoroughly about her incitements.”
On Monday, the Kogi government announced a ban on rallies
and public gatherings in the state, citing “credible security reports”.
Fanwo had earlier said in a statement that the measure was
taken to avert threats that could destabilise the state.
Afterwards, the media office of Akpoti-Uduaghan said her
planned visit to Kogi central for the Eid-el-Fitr celebrations would proceed as
scheduled.
The senator’s team also assured residents that all necessary
arrangements have been made to ensure a smooth and joyous event.
In the early hours of Tuesday, the Kogi police command asked
Akpoti–Uduaghan to cancel her planned Eid-el-Fitr celebration rally, citing
intelligence reports of a security threat.
Amoka Monday, chairman of Okehi LGA, had also declared a
curfew across the council area.
Despite the security concerns and government restrictions,
Akpoti-Uduaghan’s homecoming was met with widespread celebrations, as
supporters gathered to welcome the lawmaker as she arrived in a helicopter in
Okehi LGA.
She had earlier cautioned that any violence during the event
should be blamed on Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Usman Ododo, governor of
Kogi state, and his predecessor, Yahaya Bello.
Akpoti-Uduaghan has been making the headlines following her
six-month suspension from the senate and the sexual harassment allegations she
levelled against Akpabio.
On March 26, the Independent National Electoral Commission
(INEC) notified the Kogi senator of a recall petition from some members of her
constituency.
The constituents had submitted the recall petition to INEC
after reportedly collecting signatures of 250,000 voters from 488,000
registered voters.