A cross section of workers in the Federal Capital Territory have alleged that the rush by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, to complete some road projects in the city centre at the expense of workers’ welfare is uncalled for.
The workers said the minister’s rush was for President Bola Tinubu to have something to showcase during his second-year anniversary in power and continue to be on his good book.
The minister had last week outlined some projects that would be inaugurated in May to celebrate President Bola Tinubu second year in office.
Wike, after inspecting some of the projects on Thursday, identified the Abuja International Conference Centre (AICC), being rehabilitated by Julius Berger, as one of the projects.
He said that the AICC would come back to life in May as a befitting international conference centre that Nigerians would be proud of.
He expressed optimism that the centre would attract a lot of activities, adding however, that it would no longer be business as usual.
“You know what happened last time. It was given out to one Senator, who was making money but destroying the edifice.
“When we finish, we are going to have a maintenance contract with Julius Berger to address our poor maintenance culture.
The minister added that the two interchanges on Wole Soyinka Way (N20) would also be inaugurated in May.
He said that interchanges were being constructed by Gilmor, one at Murtala Mohammed Way and the other at Shehu Shagari Way.
He said that interchanges, when completed, would connect Jahi, Jabi, Mabushi and Utako Districts and eventually connect to the FCT Division of the Court of Appeal.
Wike also said that the N16 interchange at NICON Junction would equally be inaugurated to connect Maitama and Katampe Districts through Gishiri village, and be linked to Wole Soyinka Way.
“You can see all the other connecting roads leading to Judges Quarters are ongoing and the contractor has promised that all these roads will be completed before May.
“We will also inaugurate the connecting roads to celebrate Tinubu’s second year in office,” he said.
The visibly elated minister added that projects in satellite towns would also be inaugurated.
He particularly identified some of the roads as A2-Pai rural road in Kwali Area Council, Aguma Palace Road in Gwagwalada and the ongoing dualisation of Ushafa to Military Checkpoint Road in Bwari Area Council.
Another project to be inaugurated according to the minister, include the service lane from Apo interchange to Wassa, being constructed by CGC.
“In all, we are satisfied with the level of work.
“Indeed, I am very elated, and I thank President Tinubu for the support and the encouragement given to us to achieve all these; it’s not easy,” he said.
But the workers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the minister was doing nothing to improve their welfare.
‘Aside from the minimum wage that he approved the exact amount when some states like Lagos are paying far higher, nothing is being done to improve workers’ welfare,’’ the worker, who works in one of the FCT agencies, said.
Another worker, who is due to retire in six years’ time, said the minister had failed to approve the directorate cadre promotion process because of the money involved.
Some casual workers with the FCT Water Board, also claimed to have been on that status for some years and all efforts to get the minister approve their permanent employment are yet to yield possible results.
One of the principals at a Junior secondary school in the FCT, said most of the schools are without teachers and all efforts to get approval for new recruits have not been approved by the minister.
The workers said the minister is only interested in physical projects that the President can see and keep him on his good books.
The minister’s Senior Special Assistatnt on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, could not be reached for comments as his phone was not connecting up to the time of filing the report yesterday.